Before you can bet online, you have to register with a bookmaker. Nothing prevents you from creating an account on several sites if you wish.
To open an account, you must be of legal age and reside. On most sites, you can only withdraw your money by bank transfer. It is therefore advisable to have a bank account in your name.
Once you have registered, you will be asked to validate your player account by sending a bank account number and a copy of your ID. This is compulsory under French law. If you do not do this, you will not be able to withdraw. In addition, the site will suspend your account within 30 days.
How do I choose the right bookmaker to bet online?
Choosing a bookmaker depends on your personal preferences. Each betting site has its advantages and disadvantages. Here are the essential characteristics to take into account when starting to bet online.
The higher they are, the more money you will earn if you win your bet. However, don’t just focus on the odds. Some bookmakers like PMU are a little less attractive than the competition in this respect, but they make up for it in promotional offers.
All betting sites offer you a bonus when you register, which allows you to bet online for free. Most of the time, this will be a refund of your first bet up to 100 €. Beware of bookmakers who promise you large sums. The higher the amount of the bonus, the more complicated it will be to get it.
This is a live streaming service where you can watch the sport free of charge and in full. The more Live TV is provided, the more interesting the site is. Given the cost of TV rights, don’t expect to watch the Champions League or the World Cup. However, if you like tennis, some bookmakers will give you access to the entire ATP/WTA circuit.
Special game formulas: permanent promotions are a good way to boost your winnings when you bet online. Bookmakers offer different formulas: cash out (early repayment of your prediction), winning bonuses on handsets, boosted odds on certain bets, grids, coach’s game… Before choosing your site, look at what it offers on this side.
The types of predictions available for beginners
Here is a quick list of predictions that do not require a thorough knowledge of the sport:
- Match Result (1N2): This is probably the most popular way to bet online. Choose a match and select the team that will win it. Beware, in football, a draw is also a possibility.
- Double Chance: The double chance bet is a 1N2 prediction that covers 2 outcomes instead of just one. For example, you can choose an odds that covers both the victory of one of the teams and the draw. As a result, it will be lower than the odds offered in 1N2.
- Over/Under: This is a bet on the number of goals, points or sets in a match. The advantage of this bet is that you don’t have to guess who will win the match. Are you presenting an offensive festival? Bet on a “More than 2.5 goals” and win if it’s 4-0, 3-0, 2-1, 2-2…
If you start betting online, focus on single bets in pre live, i.e. bets placed before the game starts.
Once you have a little experience, you can learn about live betting or try to combine your bets to win even more. However, be careful with combined bets. If the winnings are attractive, it only takes one of your bets to be wrong for your entire ticket to fall through.
Online betting is often very tricky for beginners
Here is a list of mistakes to avoid:
- Betting on your favourite team: the more you bet on a team you like, the less objective you are about your chances of winning. Only bet on teams you know but do not support.
- Be fooled by the odds: even with equal odds, two events do not necessarily have the same chances of happening. So avoid betting online by reading only the odds.
- Attempt to win back after losing a bet: this is the best way to lose even more. If you feel that your bet has gone bad, ask for a cash out to limit your losses.